Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Boot to the--er, Head.

"Hooch," my mother accused.

"I am NOT," I countered. "KIM!" Shouting to my boss. "My mother just called me a hooch!"

Laughter. No support there.

"Well," Indignance dripping from the phoneline. "if I'm a hooch, then that makes YOU a Hoochy-mama."

Astonished silence. More laughter from the boss.

"I am NOT. How could you say such a thing?!"

"Think about it." Smugness may not get me much, but it is at least satisfying. "If I'm a hooch, then you MUST be a hoochy-mama."

Finally, intelligent words among the laughter from my boss's office.

"It makes good sense!"


There really is nothing like starting off your day by stepping out the door right into a pile of half-frozen dog leavings, which one of your beloved animals has kindly left for you on the front porch. There are worse ways to start off one's day, but I can think of few that are so stupid.
I didn't realize my mistake until I was halfway to work--and it wouldn't even have been then if not for the rich aroma that permeated the air inside my car as the heater kicked in.

Luckily there is still a lot of snow on the ground near my office. However, snow is only useful for removing disgusting things from the bottom of your shoes if you actually sink into it. I scuffed and shuffled in the parking lot for a while, then tried to step into the snow proper for a real cleaning. The first step took me knee deep. The rest, though, had me mincing along an top of the snow like some kind of moronic fairy-princess, looking in dismay at all the other footprints, which actually managed to find the ground. I got hold of a stick, eventually, and tried to pry some of the deeper stuff out of the treads. No luck. More scuffling. Snow mixed with crap was flying everywhere.

I ended up standing in front of the sink in the bathroom armed with papertowels, soap, hot water and my fingernails--and spent another ten minutes trying to get the stuff out. I was a half hour late to work (to be fair, I was a little late to begin with), but now my boots are very, VERY clean.
Close scrutiny of my boots reminded me, though, that they are ancient and falling apart. So I went to the mall on my break, thinking that a nice pair of office boots would not be hard to find.
Apparently, my shoe requirements are unreasonable.
Low heels are unheard of, unless I would like a pair of (undeniably cool) lace-up goth-ish boots from Hot Topic, or an insanely expensive pair of pretty-girl motor-cycle boots that aren't designed to actually be WORN (heaven forbid).

Rounded toes are a faux-pas this year as well, but apperantly zippered stretch snake-skin stilletto boots are totally acceptable, and reasonably priced to boot! (Ha)!

I think I shall start wearing my five-inch thigh boots around town. If that doesn't convince shoe-sellers to start selling boots worth buying, I'm sure nothing will.

7 comments:

Bill said...

*snrk* I just pictured your mom's reaction to being called a hoochie-mama... :-D

Say hello to your delightful mother for me, will you? :-D

Murphy said...

Tee Hee.
Good attitude trooper. Keep it up.
As far as the boots go, I'm really glad I'm a guy.
And wouldn't that make me a hoochy-brother?

Lorri said...

HAHAHAHA surprise surprise her wit has been taken and learned and dealt back!
I gave up on boots a long time ago...

K said...

Hooch: n. A dwelling, especially a thatched hut. Been one all my life. And actually, I like the name hoochie-mama. Maybe THAT'S what the grandkids should call me. It does suggest a little more drinking than I am accustomed to, though.

But see - THIS is how people end up with - poop - on their boots.

Ginna said...

Why did she call you a hooch? Youguys are so weird....
that's gross about the poop. So so gross. And it sure does seem that everytime I go to buy something that it seems like should be easy to find, it doesn't exist. Oh well, it can exist but it has to be unbelievably expensive!

Lorena said...

Hey, You are young and skinny and cute. Get the high heeled boots! You would look "hot", get them and wear them for your Auntie who can't even fit her toes into a pair! Embrace your youth and enjoy, you can wear practical flat boots when you get in your 40's like me! Oh, and always steer clear of poo!

Rachel said...

Oh ya baby! Go for the thigh high stilleto's. I'm all over that ya know. And if you are Hooch, and your mom is Hoochy mamma does that make me Auntie Hoochy?

Tee hee hee. I think we should both knock the world on it's butt struttin' in some killer boots.